“The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.”— Albert Einstein We at Acoustic Frontiers do not stop at “the basic” industry certifications and qualifications. In acoustics in particular we continue to drive industry thought leadership as demonstrated by the articles and white papers we publish. Acoustical Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Rooms […]
Ahhh….the home theater pre-pro….my thoughts on them are basically
summarized by the phase “can’t live with them, can’t live without them”!
Modern pre-pros are the brain of all modern home theaters. An AVR
(audio video receiver) is essentially a pre-pro and multi-channel power
amplifier in one box. Pre-pro’s do a number of essential things without
which it would be virtually impossible to watch movies in surround
It’s been quite a while since the last blog update on the Acoustic Frontiers Demo Room. However I am happy to say that there has been a lot of progress, although the room is still not finished! The room is already ‘up and running’ in the sense that it can be used for music and movies but there are still some areas we are working on and a couple of key items that still need to be installed. Today I am going to give a update on the interior decoration and fit out of the room.
It’s been just over a year since the UK’s National Physical Laboratory first released information on their innovative laser-based acoustical mapping technique. Thanks to UK loudspeaker company PMC we now have a real life use case for this technology – using lasers to study the dispersion characteristics of loudspeakers. All speakers have off axis frequency […]
Introduction This main focus of this blog article is to show you how easy it is to EQ your room or sub using parametric EQ. First we look briefly at the typical bass issues in our listening rooms and home theaters and reveal the Acoustic Frontiers targets for good bass. Next we discuss some common […]
Setting the Stage for Battle! Earlier this year Acoustic Frontiers had the opportunity to improve a two channel and home theater system in Tucson, Arizona. Our client owned a Polk / Onkyo system which incorporated the latest Audyssey XT32 ‘room correction’ algorithms. However he was unhappy with overall sound quality and wanted to know how […]
Let me present to your our latest project – the Acoustic Frontiers demo room! I have been carefully piloting the course to a dedicated demonstration facility for at least 18 months now. This demo room will encapsulate and explain all the things we can do as a company. Here are some of the key details:
- Dedicated ‘media’ room, supporting a world class two channel listening room and home theater
- Four power circuits feeding the room – two dedicated to audio (one 20A 120V and one 20A 240V). The 240V is to feed a nice big balancing Torus isolation transformer.
- Sound isolated using double drywall, Green Glue, isolation clips / hat channel and rubber underlayment
- Featuring high efficiency, compression driver / constant directivity horn speakers by Procella (we just signed up as a dealer, blog post to follow on these amazing devices)
- Incorporating at least one and possibly two DEQX HDP-4s for speaker and room correction
- Highlighting an electrically retractable 4K Seymour Screen Excellence screen
- 4 subwoofers in a mode cancelling layout
- Projector in a hush box (hopefully the RED one!)
- And of course acoustic treatment and final system calibration by our good selves
One of our big projects in April was the transformation of a ‘club room’ in a new home in Dublin, CA into a high performance dedicated home theater. The client, Mr. Ang, had provisionally selected his equipment but wanted professional help with the overall design with a focus on the acoustics and baffle wall. A […]