Building the Acoustic Frontiers Demo Room: Part 1
Words cannot express how awesome this journey has been. I started Acoustic Frontiers with the aim of purely providing acoustic consulting services and some complementary products such as acoustic treatment. Over the last 2.5 years the company has grown substantially, both in terms of sales and also in terms of product and service offerings. What started as a ‘side project’ has, for almost a year now, occupied my full attention. This vision is perhaps best illustrated by our new tag line or mission statement:
Acoustic Frontiers: specializing in the design, build and calibration of high performance listening rooms and home theaters.
With this in mind let me present to your our latest project – the Acoustic Frontiers demo room! I have been carefully piloting the course to a dedicated demonstration facility for at least 18 months now. This demo room will encapsulate and explain all the things we can do as a company. Here are some of the key details:
- Dedicated ‘media’ room, supporting a world class two channel listening room and home theater
- Four power circuits feeding the room – two dedicated to audio (one 20A 120V and one 20A 240V). The 240V is to feed a nice big balancing Torus isolation transformer
- Sound isolated using double drywall, Green Glue, isolation clips / hat channel and rubber underlayment
- Featuring high efficiency, compression driver / constant directivity horn speakers by Procella (we just signed up as a dealer, blog post to follow on these amazing devices)
- Incorporating at least one and possibly two DEQX HDP-4s for speaker and room correction
- Highlighting an electrically retractable 4K Seymour Screen Excellence screen
- 4 subwoofers in a mode cancelling layout
- Projector in a hush box (hopefully the RED one!). We have installed a SIM2 Nero in our demo room, as the RED projector is nowhere to be seen, and anyway the SIM2 looks awesome!
- And of course acoustic treatment and final system calibration by our good selves
Once completed the demo room will be available by appointment and will be located in Fairfax, CA in Marin County (San Francisco Bay Area). Scheduled opening is end of October.
Here are some photos and commentary to whet your appetite:
The next phase is the installation of the sound isolated door, rubber underlayment and the baffle wall. Hopefully the next month should see this phase completed and I’ll be sure to write a follow up blog post with the juicy details and photos! Here’s part 2 of the demo room build.